The BPSettings utility allows you to encrypt sensitive configuration settings such as passwords prior to sending them to Black Pear. The utility uses a public key to encrypt the settings so that only Black Pear can decrypt the information; NHS Approved Cryptographic Algorithms are used throughout.
BPSettings requires a Windows operating system with .NET Framework 4.5 installed. This is typically available on GP practice workstations.
You will have been supplied with a zip file, BPSettings.zip. To install, unzip the archive and copy the BPSettings folder to the desktop.
How to encrypt your configuration settings
- Open the BPSettings folder and run BPSettings.exe.
- The utility displays a list of settings to be provided. For password fields a strong password is suggested but users can overwrite this themselves.
- Press ‘Encrypt’ to create a strongly encrypted copy of the settings.
- Press ‘Clipboard’ to copy the encrypted settings to the Windows Clipboard.
- Paste the encrypted settings into the agreed app used to send to Black Pear. This may be an online form or an email.